Thomas Pringle TD

Pringle said report on dossiers should have been debated in Dáil tonight

Pringle said report on dossiers should have been debated in Dáil tonight

Independent TD for Donegal, Thomas Pringle, was disappointed that his proposal to debate the RTÉ Investigates report on dossiers on children this evening in the Dáil was not accepted.

Deputy Pringle had sought to have the debate in the Dáil this evening, but a Government decision to hold the debate tomorrow instead means an earlier scheduled Thursday debate on direct provision will be postponed.

Addressing the Dáil today, Deputy Pringle said: “I think it should be taken today as a priority because it’s very important, and I think the other debate as well should be taken.”

Deputy Pringle had sought to move a motion calling on the Minister for Health “to provide a clear and unambiguous statement to Dáil Éireann on the existence of dossiers of personal and medical information compiled and held by his Department on individual families or groups of people involved in legal actions against the Department which has serious implications for the access to medical care for our citizens.”

However, he was informed that the Government had decided to schedule debates on that issue during Government time on Thursday.

Deputy Pringle said today that a number of members had requested the emergency debate under Standing Order 42 and he asked for clarity on the situation.

Deputy Pringle asked: “When did the Government actually propose to do that? Was it on foot of the motions going in, or was it totally independent?” He said the Business Committee had decided tomorrow’s agenda at its meeting last week.

Deputy Pringle said: “It is right and fitting that the Dáil debate this, and sufficient time needs to be allocated for this debate. There are serious questions that need to be answered and time is needed for that.”

Be Sociable, Share!